I haven’t posted for a while, because the year has been getting increasingly busier. I started a new job and trying to organise kids and university is tricky stuff. But like many mothers (and fathers) before me , we just learn to juggle all the balls that get thrown at us. We have to, there’s no other option. However prioritizing is important, so when everything is happening at once you know how and where to categorize everything. My list of things fall into line somewhere like this: 1)kids 2)uni 3)work 4)everything else.
Health is of course all encompassing and I try to eat healthy as often as i can and look for openings in my schedule to sneak to the gym or go for a walk. Luckily I find cooking therapeutic, a exercise in mindfulness, concentrating on one task. I also find house work therapeutic, but let’s keep that on the down low.
Last week I made my girls Tomato and Lentil Soup with Roast Cauliflower.
Tomato and Lentil Soup Ingredients
- 7 vine ripened tomatoes (skinned and quartered)
- 375g of uncooked green lentils
- 6-7 cups of vegetarian chicken style stock (I use Massels)
- 1 large brown onion (diced)
- 2 tablespoons of crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 whole cauliflower
- 1/2 cup of gluten free bread crumbs
- In a large saucepan saute onions in olive oil on medium heat till onions begin to soften, ad garlic and cook for 2 mins
- ad tomatoes to saucepan and heat for 20 mins on medium stirring occasionally (tomatoes will breakdown and create their own juice)
- Next ad the lentils and stir the lentils through the tomato liquid, till the lentils begin to wrinkle and puff up
- Next ad stock, oregano, salt and pepper
- Simmer on medium low for 45mins or till lentils are fully cooked
- Cover the whole cauliflower whole in Nuttelex
- Pat on the bread crumbs
- place in an oven proof dish, cover with aluminium foil
- place in oven and cook at 200° for 40mins then remove aluminium foil and cook uncovered for a further 15mins
I served mine with GF toast, healthy and easy.
Health and Happiness,