It’s really hot today, sticky hot. In Tasmania we don’t get a lot of these Really hot days so I try to make the most of it. My girls and I went to the beach, I got burnt. I was, for the record, wearing sunscreen but I probably didn’t put enough on. The water was really refreshing and felt great against my sun-burnt skin.
Before we left I made an early lunch. On days like today I think carbs and salts are important, and plenty of water. So I made a vegan bolognese with GF pasta.
And here it is,
- 1 medium brown onion (diced)
- 1 zucchini (finely diced)
- 1 large carrot (finely diced)
- 1 cup of chopped baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups of cooked brown lentils
- 1 cup of cooked cannellini beans
- 400g of chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of chopped garlic
- 1 table spoon of Massel’s chicken stock powder
- 1 heaps tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Dash of pepper to taste
- In olive oil saute chopped onion on medium heat, when onion begins to soften add garlic and cook for 2-3 mins
- Next add zucchini, carrot and salt, saute for 5-6 mins
- Next add water, chopped tomatoes, stock, oregano, basil, pepper and baby spinach, stir the ingredients together and cook till carrots have softened
- Lastly add the pre-cooked (or tinned) lentils and cannellini beans, and cook for 5 mins stirring consistently
Serve with gluten free spaghetti, but also nice over a baked potato.
I added cayenne pepper to mine for a little heat!
Health and Happiness,
Today is the 7th of January or it might still be the 6th depending on where in the world you’re hailing from. I can’t believe we are officially one week stuck into this year. The year of the positive outlook.
Yesterday I went to the supermarket and startled the shop attendant by letting out a large “Gasp” while she was scanning my rice crackers. “What?? you OK?” she seemed slightly annoyed. “My Gawd” I pointed behind her “You’re selling eggs, Easter eggs”. She just smiled.. but seriously My gawd, already??
So far I’m a little behind on my goals, but I think some slack should be cut in January, January is kinda like the trial period, the warm up (well at least that’s what I’m telling myself). I don’t have an amazing introduction to the next recipe other then it’s amazing and thank-you Mr internet for helping me find the perfect recipe, slightly modified by yours truly. But i do have to say I really love a Pangnang, at home or from my local Thai place.
Pangnang Curry Ingredients
- 250g Organic firm Tofu (cut into cubes)
- 1/2 Fresh Lime
- 1/2 Medium sized Red Capsicum (finely sliced)
- 1/2 cup of chopped Shallots
- 1 large Zucchini (thinly Sliced)
- 1 Tablespoon of chopped Ginger
- 1 Tablespoon of chopped Garlic
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1 Teaspoon of Turmeric
- 1 1/2 Large Table spoons of crunchy Peanut Butter
- 1 Tablespoon of Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Red Curry Paste
- 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil
- 250ml of Light Coconut Cream
- 1/3 cup of water
- Saute shallots in coconut oil on medium heat till soft
- Add garlic and ginger, cook until fragrant, then add peanut butter, curry paste, turmeric and cumin, stir until well combined
- Next stir in tofu, zucchini and capsicum, until veggies and tofu are well coated in mixture
- Next add water, coconut cream and brown sugar
- simmer on low heat till zucchini is soft and curry sauce has thicken slightly, making sure to stir occasionally.
- lastly squeeze in the fresh lime juice
I served mine with lemon and a little salad.
Health and Happiness,
HAPPY NEW YEAR! Wow didn’t 2015 just fly by?? I hope you have lots of success with any resolutions you’ve set for yourself. Some people really don’t Do resolutions, “Why wait till a new year, why not just start now?” they say. Well.. I have to admit I like having a starting line, the excitement and fresh prospects of a new year. So like at the beginning of every year I have set myself resolutions and I am officially declaring this the year of not-giving-a-dam aka: the year of the positive outlook. A lot of people I know have had a difficult 2015 so believing yours will be awesome and a not-give-a-dam year too.
but some other things I’ve set for myself include:
- Try at least 3 new GF veg recipes every week (don’t worry I will be posting these, disastrous or not)
- Find a new job
- To remain positive
- Practice mindfulness everyday and wake up early
Now, I know mindfulness is the buzz word at the moment and it seems to have lost a bit of its potency because everyone says they are doing it, but if not practiced properly it doesn’t have the same effects. kinda like everyone is a yoga guru but only those who are committed to developing the art receive the proper benefits. I’m determined to make it part of my regular routine, because it really does work. perfect time is 20 mins in the morning (uninterrupted) and 20 mins at night.
Raise your glasses (green smoothies, champagne, latte, or water) to a fantastic 2016!!