At the moment, Jupiter is in full swing and is the brightest “star” in our night sky. The chipmunks and I were marveling at the planet on a drive home from the supermarket last night. Although my 8 yr old is certain it’s not Jupiter or a ‘wishing’ star it is in fact Never Never Land. The great land of Peter Pan. “It probably is Never Never Land” I replied, “I guess we’ll Never know.. unless peter pan looses his shadow again and he escapes into your room at night”. How exciting, in their little minds I’m sure it could very well be a possibility. The life of a child is filled with the uncertainty of the reality of fantasy, fairies, magic and even Peter Pan. When do we lose that as adults. When do we stop believing in the mystery and wonder of the world. Maybe it happens when we “grow up” and replace our childish notions with watching the important and always depressing news. Maybe when we realise our own short comings, our trust for all things great begins to unravel. We don’t need to believe in elves and alternate realities but we can benefit from taking time to see the magic and beauty in everyday “real” life, plants, love, resilience of humans, the curious nature of animals.. The addictive sweet taste of sugar.
I’m not ordinarily a sweet tooth, but it is winter after all, and although I don’t promote Mary Poppins motto of a Spoon full of sugar (in one go) I do think some sweet treats from time to time, sooth the soul. Tonight we had Apple Crumble.
Apple Crumble ingredients
- 2 cups of gluten-free original muesli
- 1/2 cup of gluten-free flour
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 5 medium size apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 75g of nuttelex
- Juice of 1/2 a grapefruit
- Preheat oven at 180°
- In a bowl toss brown sugar through the apple pieces
- in a separate bowl mix nuttelex, flour, muesli, white sugar and cinnamon
- Arrange apple mixture in a baking dish, squeezegrape fruit juice over the top of the apples
- Top the apples with the crumble mixture, pressing down firmly
- Cook in oven for 1 hr
All done! Gooey goodness, I served mine with sweet coconut cream and a cup of tea!
Health and Happiness