It has been a few crazy weeks with University, kids and looking for work. I have been cooking but haven’t found time to sit down and post. It could have something to do with this television and social media addiction I seem to have developed. Forget hard drugs, what’s the government going to do about the masses of us sitting on our bottoms watching mind numbing rubbish for hours on end to “relax”, I suppose that’s where they want us, not causing a fuss. I have decided like a many other addicts to take control of my own detox program and limit myself to only one show a week.. Because there is this one show I just can’t live without.
While binging on TV I did manage to catch a fun series on super foods. It was very interesting, wheat-grass shots for example (yippee we don’t have to force those down anymore) are really just a fad and have little health benefits, but still better then a can of coke. There were some sure winners among the bunch and two of those included were broccoli (yes it really is a super super food) and quinoa.
So here’s a great way to include these super foods as a healthy side to all your meals.
Broccoli and Quinoa Salad Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon of Massels beef stock
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1 teaspoon of pink rock salt
- 2 cups of water
- 1 head of broccoli (cut into chunks)
- 1/2 a medium red onion (finely sliced)
Salad Dressing Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons of white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Steam broccoli lightly for 5-8 mins, set aside
- In a small saucepan combine, quinoa, stock, salt and water, bring to the boil and simmer for 10-15 mins till the quinoa is cooked, drain any remaining water, although it should all be adsorbed.
- in a separate bowl, toss the broccoli and red onion through the quinoa.
- Combine the vinegar, brown sugar and lemon juice, mixing until the sugar has dissolved
- Pour over the broccoli, quinoa and onion mixture
I had mine with bean rissoles!
Health and Happiness,
One thought on “Broccoli and Quinoa Salad”
[…] Source: Broccoli and Quinoa Salad […]